the account of my journey from being a college student to youth pastor... and beyond

Monday, December 19, 2005

first Sunday

Our first Sunday went as well as I could have hoped for! (Well, I actually messed up "O Little Town Of Bethlehem" a couple of times). Everyone was sooo supportive! The lunch went really well; they had a crazy amount of food there for everyone and they gave us so many groceries that we don't have room in the kitchen for it! Anna has to have one of our three-shelf book shelves dedicated to holding canned goods!

I didn't have to lead worship for the PM service because it was the kids' Christmas program. Eli had a line, which he didn't remember even though we worked on it all day! AND he worked his way into the youth Christmas skit -- as baby Jesus! It was funny because when the narrator said that Mary had delivered the baby, Eli walked out - and he's almost five years old! Everyone thought that was funny; they already know that he's very outgoing and loves all the attention of being the youth pastor's kid.

Tonight is our first night of youth group. I'm wanting everything about the service to be the same as what they've been doing and I'll just preach. From everything I've heard, they do exactly what I would want to do for a youth service, but I just want to see how they do things before I start making changes. Kids like changes, but I don't want to do a lot too soon.

Adults are different in that they tend to resist change. It seems like the older people get, the more set in their ways they are and the more reluctant they are to change. I'm glad that they have already been exposed to blended worship and that I don't have to fight them to sing a couple of choruses as well as some hymns. I'm going to take it really slow with the adults!

I'll write later to let you know how our first youth service went. In "Hymn" (because it sounds like "him" and I capitalized the "H" because I'm referring to God/Jesus, "Him"), anyway, later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home